Resilience: The Greatest and Fiercest of Companions
In life and business, the trait we absolutely cannot go without is Resilience. Merriam-Webster defines resilience as: the ability to become strong, healthy, or successful again after something bad happens or the ability of something to return to its original shape after it has been pulled, stretched, pressed, bent, etc.
Resilience is a tricky thing, doing its best work in times of challenge. Let’s look at three common life experiences where Resilience comes to teach us some of life’s greatest lessons:
- You Fail: Resilience loves failure. Failure is a prime opportunity for Resilience to teach us that we are stronger than we think we are. You thought you did everything right and things still didn’t go as planned. Resilience says, “Get up. Try again. The project failed, but you are not a failure. It’s not over.”
- You Didn’t Get the Promotion: Resilience loves when you get passed over. Not winning is a prime opportunity for Resilience to teach us to not give up. Just when you thought you had this career thing all figured out, you throw your hat in the ring, and didn’t get the promotion. Resilience says, “What can you learn from this? How will you be better next time? This too shall pass. Don’t give up.”
- You Lose Your Job: Resilience loves loss. Job loss is a prime opportunity for Resilience to teach us about reinvention. You were cruising along the Career Highway and next thing you know, you’ve been asked to pull over and vacate your seat. Resilience says, “Every ending is an opportunity to start again. This curtain may be closing, but only so your next act can begin. It’s time to reinvent yourself.”
If you have experienced any one of the three life experiences above, you may have thought they were some of the worst moments of your life. However, Resilience teaches us that they may have in fact been the best moments of your life because of the invaluable lessons that came from them. Though you may have wanted success and happiness to be your closest companions throughout life’s journey, you may soon realize that Resilience is the greatest and fiercest of companions, molding and shaping you into a better, stronger, and more Resilient you.
Latest posts by M.A.D.E. To Lead (see all)
- Courage: It’s About Moments - June 26, 2015
- Resilience: The Greatest and Fiercest of Companions - May 18, 2015
- Three Things Being A New Mom Taught Me About Leadership - May 5, 2015